What is beard wax? Why do people use them? What is the difference between beard wax and beard balm? How do you apply beard wax? These and many others are some of the questions about beard wax our blog readers have been asking since the start of this year. We have written a detailed article which we hope will probably answer any questions you might have about this kind of wax. Read on to learn more.
What is beard wax?
This is a special type of wax that helps protect the beard from harsh weather conditions such rain and the wind. This wax is also used by many people to style their beard in order to make them good looking. Those who participate in various beard competitions also use beard wax to help hold and shape their beards in place. Some of the common ingredients used to formulate beard wax include shea nut butter, coconut oil, beeswax and scented oils.
Why is it important?
As stated above, beard wax is used to style and hold the beard in place. This means that you won’t be worrying about unkempt hair or one that is trying to get into your mouth whenever you are eating or talking. Instead, you will have hair that looks nice and is more controlled.
How is it different from beard balm?
While beard wax is used to hold and style beard, beard balm helps revive your beard. One thing to keep in mind is that beard balm may have the holding properties of beard wax but it is not as strong as wax. It contains some oil which makes it less subtle compared to wax. Just like wax for the beard, beard balm is also available in a variety of scents. Factors to consider when choosing beard wax
1. The type of variety you want
There is a wide range of varieties and sub-varieties of beard wax on the market you need to choose from. These include organic, soy free, vegan, tinted, petrochemical-free and many others. There are several benefits of using one variety over the other. For instance, using an organic wax not only gives you safe hold but also penetrates into your hair shaft strengthening your hair follicles over time. You can’t get these benefits when using petrochemical-based varieties.
2. The holding strengths
Beard wax products are also available in different holding strengths from light and medium strengths to strong to extra strong. The type of holding strength you choose depends on whether you plan to use the wax to get temporary results or a more permanent result. The holding strengths of wax to choose also depend on the style you want to achieve and texture of your facial hair.
3. The quality of the ingredients
You should also consider the quality of ingredients when choosing the best beard wax to purchase for your beard. It is a good idea to consider products made from natural and organic ingredients in order to stay safe and avoid possible side effects. The rule of thumb is to pick products that include natural oils, beeswax, and butter.
4. The scent of the wax
If you are allergic or sensitive to smell, you should consider the scent of the wax before purchase. To be on the safer side, you should pick products with a light scent or ones that don’t contain any scent.
5. The color of the wax
You should also consider the color of the wax before making a purchase decision. It is a wise idea to go for waxes that match the color of your beard.
How To Use And Remove Beard Wax
Some of our blog readers also inquired how to apply beard wax and how to remove it after application. In this section, we have explained in detail all the steps that are involved. Read on to learn more.
How to apply?
1. To get the best results, ensure your beard and the area around the beard is clean and dry before applying beard wax.
2. Some people prefer to heat the wax before use while others prefer it in a tin as it. If you want to heat it before use, just be careful not to heat it to a liquid state.
3. Using a beard comb, scoop a small amount of the wax and place it on your palm. Apply it on one side of the beard massaging it gently into the beard to be absorbed.
4. Use the comb to style the one side of the beard into the shape you want before moving to the next side.
5. It is time to turn to the other side of the beard. Just scoop the same amount of the wax and place it on your palm. Apply it on the other side of the beard massaging it gently into the beard. Use the comb to style the one side of the beard into the shape you want before moving to the next side.
Why and how to remove beard wax
The use of any hair product such as shampoo can create a build-up which may in turn cause weigh down or block pores. So it is advised to wash off the beard wax at the end of the day. Traditionally, hot soapy water was used to remove beard wax. The use of soapy water is not recommended anymore because most soaps nowadays are formulated with harmful ingredients that might damage your hair. Furthermore, some soaps contain ingredients that might cause split ends and skin dryness. To remove beard wax safely, oil-based wax conditioners and removers are recommended. Here is the process:
1. Scoop a small amount of wax conditioner or beard wash and apply it into your beard. Massage in making sure all the hair follicles have been coated.
2. Allow the beard wash shampoo to soak in for some few minutes to bind with the wax. Use a wooden comb to comb out the excess wax/conditioner from the beard.
3. Rinse the beard using warm water. If you are using a conditioner, leave it to stand overnight and then rinse it off in the morning.
This is the important information you probably wanted to know about beard wax. If you have any question about beard wax or any information you want to share with us, feel free to let us know in the comment box.